The Schoolhouse at camp dennison

align="right"

Camp Dennison has been the home of 3 local school buildings. The following are short histories of each.

The following is an excerpt from the “History of Camp Dennison”: “The first school house was a log building on the south side of Kugler Mill Rd (Galbraith Rd.), ½ mile east of Buckingham Rd. Its water was supplied by a spring which is still there. Miss Jerusha Jones taught here; we do not know how long the school existed. This information was obtained from Mrs. Jessie Price Lytle, whose father, William Price (Prisch) attended there.

The next building used as a school was the brick building on Lincoln Road at the Little Miami Railroad, southeast. Mr. Leavin Ready was a teacher in this school. It is now used as a residence and owned by the Knicely (now Howell) family.”

The log building on Kugler Road no longer exists. The brick schoolhouse on Lincoln and Clement Rds. now has siding and is not easily recognized as a schoolhouse. It faces the Little Miami Bike & Hiking trail, which was previously the Little Miami Railroad. Area children used the schoolhouse until the beginning of the Civil War in 1861. Landowners living in the area (which then was called Little Germany or Big Bottom) leased their lands to the Government for use as a training area for Union soldiers. Most families moved away during the Civil War years.

History of Schoolhouse:

 Construction began in the fall of 1863 on what was to be the first two-story brick schoolhouse in the Midwest. Located on Route 126, the school was designed in a cross construction pattern with gables containing Italianate style bracketing at the corners. The building was not used as a school until 1870, due to the Civil War. It was the third building to be used as a school in the area. It housed students up to the eighth grade. The school had two floors with a winding staircase that separated them. The first level had two rooms with a hallway entrance leading to the stairs. The second floor was used in the early years for the teaching of black children. Part of the upper floor was an auditorium used for assemblies and meetings. In 1939, the building was remodeled, converting from stove heat to hot water heat. Additional, restrooms and water fountains were added. Enlargement of the windows provided extra sunlight for the school. The building was used as a school until 1952, when the last class graduated. In 1962, the school was converted into a restaurant facility by the Miller family. If you visit the Schoolhouse Restaurant, you will be dining in the original schoolhouse.